Sunday 17 April 2016

There is Always Next Year

Hubby and I attended the hockey game on Sunday night.  The excitement in the arena was so thick it was a fog rolling out of the arena into the cold cold night.  The play was fast and both teams  worked their hardest.  Essex needed to win to stay in the series.  Ayr wanted to win and get a rest before the next one.

Essex scored early and the crowd cheered.  Essex scored again just before the end of the first period.  2-0 and victory was looking good.  The more exciting the play, the faster I knit.  Sometime in the first period I counted the stitches: 157 per side.  I needed 165.

The second period came and went without a goal.  Early in the third Essex scored again or so we thought.  The goaltender had knocked the net off its posts and the goal was denied.  I think our goalie should learn this trick for next year.  Ayr then scored; and scored again.  The end of the third period came with the game tied; we were heading into overtime.

The rows were flying by. I was worried  I was going to end up with more stitches and rows than what I needed.  I potentially had another 20 minutes knitting ahead of me.  I spent the intermission finishing the row then counted my stitches.  155.  That could not be right.  I started with 157 and had knitted row after row.  Each right side row increased each side by 2 stitches. How could I be going backwards?  I decided to count them again.

Essex lost in overtime.  I am not upset about the loss.  It was an exciting series and I got to watch some really good hockey.  I attended almost all the home games in the regular season,  I only remember missing one and that could not be helped.  I attended as many playoff games as possible but missed the league final due to illness.  What really really upset me after being such loyal fan - I missed the goal ending the game and Essex's chance at the Schmalz Cup - I was counting stitches.

I am about to start row 12 of the lace chart.


There are 43 chart rows in total.


1 comment:

  1. Too bad about the game. But you're right, there's always next year. You're definitely ahead on the shawl. Mine is sleeping for now. Did you get the right count on the stitches after you counted them again???

    ReplyDelete