Saturday 25 June 2016

Quickie

This is going to be a short post.  I am heading to Niagara tomorrow to do a few things for my mother.

This week has seen a couple more items go into the finished projects drawer.  The Christmas stocking:




For weeks now I have had a Panda Hat as my choice for the Character Hat category.  I wanted a quick and easy project.  Instead I flipped the pattern over and knit the owl hat.  I really can't explain why.  Maybe it is just too adorable for words.




The pattern is  James C. Brett JB237 Hats and Fingerless Gloves.  Both the Owl and Panda are included.  I used yarn from my stash.  This yarn is long discontinued and I fell in love with this lovely soft superwash merino the first time I knit with it.  Both Patons and Berella brands carried it.  Patons was called Country Garden and Berella was the Claire Murray Collection.  When I learned it was discontinued I bought every ball I could find.  I have a lot in my stash.  I have been using it and the amount has shrunk somewhat over the years but there are still sweater quantities of some colours.

The button eyes are out of my button tin.  I think they are perfect owl eyes.

The girl's sweater project has stalled.  I am at the point where I need to sit quietly at home and knit with the chart in front of me.  The next section is intarsia so I am trying to manage lots of yarn balls as well.  I have started the back but keep doing other projects that I can carry around and work on.


The pattern is the Snowflake Sweater - a kit from Mary Maxim.  I picked it up on Hubby's and my weekend in Paris.

I also started the Women's Vest project.  This one will be for me.


The pattern is the Button Box Vest from the 2013 Spring and Summer issue of Knitty.  My vest will have some modifications from the pattern.  I have lengthened the vest and eliminated the pockets.  I am putting the bobbles up the front only.  I will be reshaping the underarms to give the "girls" a little more coverage.   I also plan to eliminate the collar.  I am making all these alterations because this is the second time I am knitting this pattern.  While I really like the original vest I knit I think the changes will make this different enough from the first one and will fit nicely into my wardrobe.  In wearing the original, I don't use the pockets and I always seem to be tugging the vest down to make it longer.

The yarn is Cascade 220 Heathers in the colourway Ireland.  I bought it in 2013 at Mary Maxim.  I loved the colour.  Actually I loved it so much I bought more the next time I saw it.  If you remember, the Man's Vest made in the fall is the same yarn and colourway.

I have also picked out the next two project patterns and yarn.  They are sitting across the table from me taunting me to get started on them.  All in good time my pretties, all in good time.

2 comments:

  1. Today is the day that Google decided to mess with my head to ask me to confirm my password. This, after I posted a lovely comment which ended up somewhere in a black hole out there! Out there! In the great beyond! Beyond the stars and the moon. Then I tried again, and again, and again. And they all joined Comment Number One. Now I've changed my password and I want to tell you that I love that Christmas Stocking...actually, I love everything you've shared. I can tell you're feeling better. Only a queen would say, "All in good time my pretties, all in good time!" Say hello to your mom. I wonder if she remembers me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Owl Hat!! I feel like you're in the home stretch...

    ReplyDelete