Thursday 25 August 2016

Crisis Averted

I am taking a few minutes to update you in the final days of preparation for the Harrow Fair.

Yesterday I was knitting on the Boy's Sweater and was getting low on orange.  So I reached into the bag of yarn for the second ball.   I shifted all the black balls.   My heart sank.  There were only black balls.  Panic.  A few tears.  Time to work on Plan B.  I texted Hubby on Pelee Island.  I called Mary Maxim's London store.  Yes they had seven balls in the store.  They would put three for me behind the counter - just in case there was a run on Hot Orange.  I don't need three but at this point who wants to take chances.

Hubby texts me back.  Yes he will drive the 2 hours to London to pick up the yarn for me.  I suggest he take the bike. This would be a good excuse for a ride.  Argggg.  Forecast is for rain.  Hubby says he knows how important this is to me; will suffer and take the car.

I am now petrified of running short so suggest he get a ball of the off white as well.  This afternoon I have the yarn.  Crisis averted.

I have taken some time off to work to work on the last of the projects.  Took some unexpected time yesterday when the phone lines went out  taking the internet with it.  It meant the office where I was working also lost access to the servers.   Home I went and back today for a couple of hours to get stuff done that can't wait until after Labour Day.  Then I drove out to Harrow to drop off my entry list and pay the annual dues.

I had enough orange last night to finish the second sleeve.  Both now washed and drying.


I have one sleeve stacked on top of the other to make sure both are the same.  It takes a bit longer to dry but easier to lay out.

I used the additional yarn waiting time to finish this.


I hate putting in zippers.  I try pinning them in first but the pins distort things, the zipper slips up and away from the edge and I am always stabbing myself with the pointy ends  Don't like it at all.  On the other hand, I love office supplies.  I once did a presentation to show what you could use from an office supply store for knitting.  I now have a new use for office supplies.


The paper clips worked a charm.  They held the zipper in place.  The fabric did not distort.  I did not get stabbed.  I could baste around them.  Perfect.

I got the zipper in and got it in straight.  Now at this point the sweater could be considered complete.  I know it will be displayed with the zipper closed.  It looks fine from the outside and neat enough on the inside.



The problem is that I am me.  I could not leave at this.  I have this theory that a badly knitted sweater that is finished really well is a decent sweater.  Wonky stitches will even out over time with washing and wearing.  A well knitted sweater finished badly is just a bad sweater and will always be a bad sweater.  It will always look off - like a home made home-ec project by a 9 year old.  I don't think this sweater ranks as well knit at least by what I am capable of doing.  It is acceptable but not up to my usual standards.  I want it to be well finished; so I got up early this morning and added ribbon to hide the inside of the zipper.



The ribbon is cute and hopefully delight the little girl this sweater is destined for.   I think it is adorable.  I am finally satisfied and put the sweater away in the dresser with the other finished projects.

While waiting for Hubby to return from London I started stuffing the limbs of the belly dancer.  I also finished her face.  The eyes and lips have taken me weeks of worry.  I would do a little and look at it.  Was is acceptable?  I was so afraid as I went along I would mess it up and have to start over.  So a little dab of paint then wait for it to dry.  It took a lot of paint selection to complete.  All I needed of each colour was a drop or two but look what I had to buy to get those!  Luckily they were on sale at the dollar store.  I think I am happy with the results.  I will have to touch up the edges once they are cut out.  I will wait to cut until I am ready to apply them - can't risk losing them.


Luckily I have a small bag of fibre-fill.  I used to sew teddy bears and have left-overs in the closet.  I would hate having to buy a big bag for this project.

So I now have 2 projects to finish and one still to cast on.  My entry form includes them all, even the lapghan.  I truly am an optimist!

1 comment:

  1. OMG!

    You are crazy and I mean that in the most loving way! Yes, folks, I have a crazy and amazing friend. Can't wait to get to the fair to see these beauties firsthand!

    ReplyDelete