Sunday 21 August 2016

Doll Warning

If you have a doll phobia or if doll clothes sending you screaming from the room better skip over the early pictures in this post.  It is a rather doll heavy one today.

Dressed doll on stand - Done.



Doll outfit mounted on cardboard - Done!

On doll:

 It took hours to sew all those little buttons on the dress but I think it was worth it.

Here it is ready for the Fair:


I am tired of seeing the doll clothes mounted on plain ugly cardboard at the fair.  I glued a lovely square of paper on first to add some interest.

Other knitting not otherwise listed - Done


I love the word "done".

I asked Hubby if he had any ideas what I could make for the other not listed category.  I needed something easy, quick and hopefully spectacular.  He said he could use a hat.  Two out of three ain't bad.

We discussed yarn choices, colours and design.  He wanted the blue he brought back from Listowel.  I wanted to add some patterning  to the three inches of plain knitting between the ribbing and the shaping for the top of the head.  I chose snowflakes.  Manly enough and kept my interest in knitting this.  Something to look forward to after all that ribbing.

I finished the hat and blocked it on Heady De Verre.  Hubby saw it and loved it.  He was delighted with the Tie Fighters [from the movie New Hope - but if you are old like me and saw the movie in theatres in 1977 you remember it just as Star Wars].

Wait - I knit snowflakes! Can you see the fighters?



If not, look at the space between the snowflakes - from the centre of one snowflake to the other.  See the resemblance?

TIEfighter.jpg

(photo copied from Wikipedia here)

Just a little trivia on the colour of the Tie Fighters; in the original movie these space ships were white.  When the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were filmed, the colour becomes a bit grayer with bluish tones.  The fighters in this hat are the colour scheme of Empire and Jedi.

The pattern is Watch Cap from Knits Men Want made in Paton's Classic Wool DK Superwash in Denim Heather and Flagstone.  Sadly, I suspect the colours are discontinued since they were in the tent sale.  I love this pattern and I have knit it a lot including a hat for myself.    All you need is a gauge swatch and once you have your gauge, the pattern tells you how many stitches to cast on - extremely versatile.  This hat took two 50 gram balls and a small amount of contrast and was knit on 3.75 mm needles.  The snowflake chart is from 1000 Great Knitting Motifs by Luise Roberts.  Again a book I use a lot.

Seems I have been knitting this snowflake variation a lot.

See - same snowflake in beads on the wrist-warmers:


Another snowflake variation in the Snowflake sweater that has been kicking my ass.


The sad part is I didn't notice all the snowflakes until after I had finished the hat but maybe we should not count the hat as it has TIE fighters on it, not snowflakes.

The additional yarn arrived from Mary Maxim on Friday.  I finished the second sleeve of the sweater and washed and blocked both on Saturday.

The rest of the sweater has the ends tied in and the side seams done.  Just waiting for the sleeves, collar and zipper.  The zipper was purchased on Friday so I am good to go.

I have started the Boy's Sweater.  See a part sleeve.


I know it is absolutely crazy to leave the objects I am designing to the last  but that is the way it is working out.  I want to knit a facsimile of this:


I have started charting out the Fair Theme entry.  Again stupid to wait til the deadline to design something.  No knitting yet but measurements made and seeing progress on the motifs.

38 finished.  3 in process.  1 left to cast on. 10 days to go.  Still not talking about any Lapghan.  Hubby asked me if I wanted to help out with a charitable event on Friday he is voluteering at.  I told him I was going to be too busy panicking.

1 comment:

  1. Gasp number 1 goes to the doll dresses! Ooooieeeee, they are lovely.

    Gasp number 2 goes to the hat and the tie fighters. I saw them, yes.

    Gasp number 3....what you said you're still going to do in 10 days.

    And then I saw you on Saturday at our anniversary party, with knitting needles busily working in your hands....GASP! No time to lose. Call me if you want me to come over to keep your eyes propped open, and thank you for coming :)

    ReplyDelete